Friday 31 December 2010

Metamorphosis

Christmas was lovely.
Which is saying a lot because I like traditions.
I'm been trying to think of one tradition that stayed the same ... nope. All different, adjusted or new.
We've been focusing on forming new traditions with the new generation. And really, I just feel blessed to share Christmas moments and family love with my nephew.
Our lovely little Love!
It's been a time of change and searching for balance in the family. Rest and unrest. Endings and beginnings.
At work I've been starting to say goodbye to clients, doing endings or transfers.
At home we seem to be aware, whether it's spoken or not, of the fewer and fewer days I have to spend with my family.
I've been making plans with friends for January, trying to fit in as many as possible, knowing that those visits will include a goodbye hug or kiss that will need to last a while.
Internally, I'm oscillating between staying focused on my goals and 'to-do' lists and trying to soak in every moment. Which, and you may know this already, is actually how I regularly live - it's just amped up right now. My boss says "we're scattered" and if you aren't a scattered person - or if you are but haven't come to terms with it - then it might not sound like the compliment it is. She said to me the other day that that was one of the things that make us "great counsellors". I've been thinking about her words this week. Looking at it all while looking at all the bits, distracted by it all while focused on it all. It makes total sense to me. Plus it's a huge compliment to me to be lumped in any category with a woman that inspires, encourages and loves me like my boss.

Tonight is New Year's Eve. Goodbye Old Year! Hello New!
I remember watching cartoons of Baby New Year booting the wrinkled and withered Old Year out of the way so that he could march in and take over. It was always such a strangely aggressive thing for a baby to do. I knew it was coming each time the cartoon would run on TV, but it just seemed so mean to the old man. Like we're supposed to sing Auld Lang Syne, count backwards from 10, magically forget about him and be so excited about this new baby of a year. Spoiled brat. No respect.
But really, time and change don't show a lot of mercy. And they don't have to because they don't care about us. These thoughts, while sounding a bit like a rain cloud, are actually very hopeful to me. These thoughts bring my mind back to the One who cares the most. The One who has The Plan.The Plan for everything AND The Plan for little ol' me.
What comfort, what care and consideration, what Love that dreamed it all up and then made it so!

So, my prayer for you (and me) is that this night and the days and nights to follow will be a time to celebrate the changes that have come as well as the ones ahead - known or unknown. By us. Because the path is well known by Him. I pray that we would seek with every bit of ourselves the path and then work to embrace whatever is there, knowing that we are not alone; we are, in fact, being embraced, held, led and kept by our Maker. I pray that we are filled with the Holy Spirit and that, as we are, we will understand more the hugeness of Christ's love for us. And that with that understanding, that filling up (and tapping down and filling up), we will overflow - flow over - onto others. A big mess. Messy, messy, messy. Go make a mess. Many, many messes (as my nephew would say).
Merry Christmas and Metamorphosis New Year!

No comments: