Friday 3 December 2010

Pray, and let God worry. - Martin Luther

My plans have changed - slightly. 

Previously I was slated to go to Haiti with the team of people from our denomination. We planned to spend time with our brothers and sisters in within the Haitian arm of the denomination and their nearby communities holding medical clinics and continuing our men's and women's discipling and children's programs from Jan. 28 - Feb 7/2011.

Last week our host, Pastor Richard, experienced an incident with a foreigner in his vehicle while in Cite Soleil, the large slum in Port-Au-Prince. Everyone was fine and safe in the end, but, as a result of this and the state of affairs with cholera in Haiti, the team has decided to post-pone their trip.

Sooooo I'll be going without them! I will be treated with a vaccination for cholera and I have no plans to be in Cite Soleil. If that should change I will certainly let you know and ask for extra prayer - for safety and for peace of mind for those who will be very worried at home.

I'm hoping and praying that they will come during the months that I'm at Mission of Hope so that I will be able to easily join them for the week-10 days that they'd be in Haiti. Only God knows how that will all work out. Please remember the team as they continue to wait for God's timing (remember, we were supposed to go last January).

The excitement and anticipation has been mounting in recent days. I was given an opportunity to share at our church services last Sunday and received a great welcome. 

My fundraising has begun very well, thanks to generous donors and an even more generous God, but there is a long way to go. 
 
I've also had a chance to meet with the wonderful folks at FTC Canada who partner with Mission of Hope to provide charitable receipts for Canadians. They are quite invested in MOH's work in Haiti and I had an lovely chat with president, Ken Dick, about his experiences there and in Haiti. Some of the other staff, Lynn Wick and John Matthews, have been very helpful and so very encouraging about the plans laid out ahead. They had me start a blog to be able to receive online donations (to donate, click on the 'button' to the left below my photo) that will go directly to the Art Therapy Program at MOH.

If you are interested in helping me financially and don't want/need a charitable gift receipt, please let me know (there are a few expenses that are just more difficult to receipt for). You are also welcome to send donations to my church, Parkwood Gardens Community Church, who have offered to do tax receipts as well. I'll stick their mailing address on the bottom.

Last week was our Christmas dinner with By Peaceful Waters. It was lovely as always (shout out to The New Dundee Emporium), but more emotional for me and my boss/supervisor/dear friend and mentor, as well as some of the other counsellors I've worked side by side with for the past number of years. They blessed me, prayed for me, and released me to do and go wherever God leads - they're so supportive - with an open invitation to return (I know some of you have expressed concern about that). Today at our staff meeting I received more prayer for protection, preparation, anointing in my ministry, wisdom and love... and really, what else is there?

God Provides!

Thanks for your prayers and encouragement, I can't wait to get started!

Blessings and Love,
Kara-Lynn

In case you're interested in any web sites for the groups listed above:

www.ftccanada.ca

www.mohhaiti.org

www.bypeacefulwaters.ca

www.parkwoodgardens.ca 

Parkwood Gardens Church mailing address:
501 Whitelaw Road,
Guelph, ON N1K 1E7
*Cheques payable to Parkwood Gardens Church with a note that the donation is for Kara-Lynn Ferguson, Art Therapy Program at Mission of Hope (or something to that effect).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Kara -Lynn how u doing miss u lots Tara is
Amazing hope everything is going great I got
The job at the camp for the whole summer. I
Am so excited what better way then to be their and serve
Jesus. I don't know how to add u to my gmail
So I was wondering if you have Facebook so
That I can keep in contact with you